Thursday, November 20, 2008

Class Reflection

This oil painting class has been really helpful to me. Even though I have already taken the class before, I found that being more on my own, and it not being a regular class challenge me in different ways than when I took the class fall of my junior year. My first glass panting ended up only being experimental and the work was never completed. However, I learned a few things about glass through the experience, like looking for the highlights, shadows, and color tints to help form the object. By the end of the term, I had finished my own White Objects painting, which helped me with mixing more neutral colors. I had also started a self portrait, and although I did not finish it this term, I started learning the planes of the face, and how shadows and highlights are important in defining the figure. I plan to finish it at home, to work more on the hair as well as the correct proportions. Another painting that I have not totally finished is my architectural space painting. I started this painting because I felt like I had to many still lifes. I also wanted to see how I would approach an architectural drawing, because those style paintings are very different than the figure or the still life. The last piece I finished I am calling Blue Bottle Still Life. I was finally able to accomplish painting glass, and I am really proud of how far I have come and improved over the course of the term. I also felt like I did a good job with painting the fabric; it was one of the first times I feel like I have come close to it looking like actual fabric, with popping out folds.

Overall, I am happy with how this class went. I was able to spend a lot more time painting then normal, because not only did I take Portfolio Development, but I also had a rotating free block, so I spent as much time possible in the studio working on my pieces. I was able to concentrate and feel more comfortable this term in oil painting because I had those extra few hours as extra time if I needed it for certain pieces.

One thing I wish I could have done differently is that I wish I could have spent a little more time on my blog. At the beginning of the term, I had a lot more time to comment and post, but as my term got towards the end, I had a split dedication with this blog, and my portfolio blog. I feel like if I had taken more time, I could have been a little more interactive, and giving advice or comments whenever necessary.

I really enjoyed this class, and I am very sad that the term has ended already. I hope that I will be back up in the studio soon, painting but in the mean time, GOOD LUCK PAINTERS :)

No comments: