Monday, March 30, 2009

Book Project Reflection

Over the last few weeks, I though a lot about what I wanted my final piece would look like. I wanted to circle my theme around the ideas of banned books, heresy, and suppression of creative thought. I feel like those concepts do not come through easily in the final product, but I made an effort to make my point through using a blow torch symbolizing the banning, and ruining of many books throughout history. this book is supposed to act as "The Book of Banned Books" in the sense that it is a monument for those books that have been burned, forgotten, or criticized over the years. I fashioned the books so that they would be in an upward pile. although my piles not realistic like it wont stand up without glue, however it is supposed to represent that many books in have been tossed in a pile to be forgotten.

I did not struggle throughout the process, except maybe getting bored with putting together numerous mini books. I found that after awhile, I got better at making these mini books from just having completed so many of them. Even though there were simple steps (gluing two pieces of a cut-out book covers with a flexible cardboard to make the mini-cover of a book, and then cutting mini pieces of paper to glue inside) I found that I improved.

I really liked this project. It was challenging because the object of this project was to come up with a concept that would form a meaningful idea. In general, I care a lot about books. People should be able to express their creative minds, and should not be punished for their beliefs. That is what I tried to make my book project about, and I had a challenging, but fun experience making it.

No comments: